Aug 29, 2012More cases in 16-state Salmonella outbreak likely linked to mangoesThe US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said today it is collaborating with state and federal partners to investigate a multistate outbreak of Salmonella Braenderup infections that appear to be linked to eating mangoes. So far 103 infections with the same outbreak strain from 16 states, most of them from California, have been reported to PulseNet, a national molecular subtyping network for identifying foodborne bacteria, since Jul 1. The number represents two new cases since yesterday. The CDC said the California Department of Public Health is leading the investigation. Among 69 patients with available information, 25 (36%) have been hospitalized, and no deaths have been reported. The latest illness onset was Aug 11. The outbreak strain matches the genetic pattern seen in Canadian infections that are related to a recall of mangoes from Mexico. The CDC added, however, that the pattern has been seen in PulseNet before, typically causing two or three infections a month, so some of the US cases may not be part of the outbreak. State health officials who have interviewed sick patients have found that mangoes are a likely source of the infections. Many of California’s sick patients bought mangoes at Hispanic markets or grocery stores. So far the investigation has not identified a specific type or source of the mangoes, so officials don’t have specific advice for consumers yet.Aug 29 CDC outbreak announcementAug 28 CIDRAP News story “Mangoes from Mexico suspected in 101 US Salmonella infections”Cuba declares cholera outbreak overCuban officials have declared that its cholera outbreak, which began in early July, is over after sickening 417 people, 3 fatally, the Miami Herald reported yesterday. The country’s Public Health Ministry said the overwhelming majority of cases were in the city of Manzanillo in eastern Granma province. The agency said no new cases have been reported in more than 10 days. The 417 cases are far more than the government’s last official report, which cited 158 cases on Jul 13, and the last report by Granma health officials, who confirmed 263 cases 2 weeks ago.Aug 28 Miami Herald story
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
New York State Troopers made two arrests on misdemeanor driving while intoxicated charges in Hampton Bays, plus another one in Riverhead, this past week.The two Hampton Bays arrests occurred during the early morning hours of Sunday, January 27. Hubert Reyes-Muralles, 35, of Riverhead, was driving on Montauk Highway in Hampton Bays when he was pulled over on a traffic stop. State police said that Reyes-Muralles failed roadside sobriety tests, and was arrested on the DWI charge.At headquarters, his breath test produced a reading of .08 of one percent, the lowest reading that qualifies as intoxication. He was released by police with an appearance ticket, to be arraigned Tuesday, February 5, at the Southampton Town Justice Court.About an hour after Reyes-Muralles was arrested, troopers pulled over Jorge Villalta-Nieto, 35, of Hampton Bays on Montauk Highway in Hampton Bays. He too was said to have failed sobriety tests, leading to his arrest. Villalta-Nieto was released on an appearance ticket returnable on February 4 at the Southampton Court. The Riverhead DWI arrest happened a little after midnight Friday, January 25. Dallas Johnson, 43, of Riverhead, was driving on Old Country Road when he was stopped for an alleged traffic violation. Police said Johnson was drunk, and refused to take the breath test. He was arraigned Saturday morning. The terms of his arraignment are not email@example.com Share
Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribe
T. Boone Pickens joined Citizens Energy Group and the company’s unit Kinetrex Energy recently for the grand opening of Kinetrex’s second liquefied natural gas facility located in Beech Grove. “Today’s grand opening is the second LNG facility Kinetrex Energy has opened in just eight months,” said Carey Lykins, President and CEO of Citizens Energy Group. “The business is off to a great start. Kinetrex is becoming a Midwest leader in LNG manufacturing,” said Lykins.Alongside representatives from Citizens and Kinetrex, Lt. Governor Sue Ellspermann, State Representative Randy Frye, Mayor Greg Ballard, Beech Grove City Council President Ed Bell, and Pickens took part in the grand opening ceremony. Pickens, a legendary energy entrepreneur and advocate for alternative energy, calls for natural gas to power the country’s heavy duty truck and fleet transportation system. His 2008 energy policy titled “The Pickens Plan” promotes enhanced U.S. energy security through a reduction in OPEC oil dependence and an expanded use of domestic resources.“Washington today is focusing on exporting our expanding reserves of natural gas. There’s a market for that, but we’d be better off as a county if we used this cleaner, cheaper energy resource to rebuild our economy, not another country’s,” said Pickens. “The private sector is leading where Washington isn’t, and Kinetrex should be applauded for that, and for its efforts to reduce America’s costly and dangerous dependence on OPEC oil,” said Pickens.As many large corporations launch their sustainability initiatives, LNG is a perfect solution to “green” their supply chain. LNG burns cleaner and costs less than other fuel sources, and reduces greenhouse gases by more than 20 percent. It also costs about 35-45 percent less than diesel fuel. That combination makes LNG a natural fit for trucking, mining drilling, marine, rail and industrial applications. Based on market research, Kinetrex expects LNG demand in the Midwest to exceed 500,000 gallons/day by 2020.Between its two facilities, Kinetrex is capable of supplying in excess of 200,000 gallons of LNG per day to the transportation, off-highway high horsepower and industrial markets. Kinetrex customers see LNG as a competitive alternative to diesel fuel for use in heavy-duty vehicles and off-highway applications.[mappress]Press Release, June 16, 2014
BREAKING: Offshore Construction of First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Kicks OffBlock Island Wind Farm, the U.S. first offshore wind project, has entered the offshore construction phase, according to Jeff Grybowski, Deepwater Wind’s CEO.UK Offshore Wind on Way to Become Subsidy FreeStatkraft has welcomed the latest report by BVG Associates, which outlines how advances in technology, the supply chain and policy have combined to put the industry on track to become sustainable without financial support from consumers.Photo of the Day: Block Island OWF ConstructionOffshore WIND’s photo of the day: Full steam ahead at the Block Island offshore wind farm site.7 MW Fukushima Turbine Preparing for InstallationFukushima Offshore Wind Consortium plans to tow the 7 MW wind turbine from Onahama Port to its offshore site on July 31-August 1 and moor it in the following 20 days.France Designates Four Floating Wind AreasFrench Minister for Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy, Ségolène Royal has designated four areas for the development of pilot wind farms comprising floating turbines in three different regions: Brittany, Languedoc-Roussillon and Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur.
The operation of the traditional court needs to be rethought to take into account technological advances that have rapidly changed society and influenced jurors, the lord chief justice (pictured) said this week. Speaking a year after becoming head of the judiciary, Lord Judge said that the ‘oratory tradition’ of the courtroom might not help juries in the future. He said: ‘The jury system depends on people coming to court and listening to people speaking, and then thinking about and assessing what they have heard. If a generation arrives in the jury box that is not used to listening… then that changes the whole oratory tradition that we are used to. The way our jury system operates will have to be thought about very deeply.’ He suggested that, in the future, juries might be handed evidence on computers to take away and evaluate. Judge said that his main ambition over the next year is to ‘increase or restore public confidence in the administration of criminal justice.’ He also said that he is ‘extremely troubled’ by the ‘cascade’ of ‘extremely complicated and convoluted’ criminal justice legislation that has been passed by parliament in recent years. ‘We should have a system where people walking up and down the street know when they commit a crime,’ he said. ‘The legislative process hasn’t made that any more likely.’ Judge also backed the use of short sentences by Crown court judges. ‘The short sentence is sometimes the right sentence,’ he said. ‘If you have to serve your sentence in a very overcrowded prison, conditions – and there is a myth about how easy prison life is – are awful. If [a prisoner is] in custody in very crowded conditions… then the punishment is more severe than if they are not. For judges, if conditions are appalling they may want to reduce a sentence.’ He added that judges ‘spend a lot of time trying to decide what level of sentence is appropriate’.
Subscribe now for unlimited access Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN
Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe now for unlimited access To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community
Tweet LocalNews Trough system still affecting the region by: – December 25, 2013 Sharing is caring! Share 6 Views no discussions The weather outlook for Dominica and the Lesser Antilles as issued at 6:00 AM on Wednesday, December 25, 2013 indicates that a trough system is still affecting the region.Moisture and instability associated with a trough system will continue to generate cloudiness, shower and thunderstorm activity across parts of the region during the next 24 hours.Residents in areas prone to flooding, landslides and falling rocks should exercise extreme caution as grounds are already saturated due to previous rainfall activity.Moderate sea conditions are expected during the next 24 to 48 hours with swells peaking near 8.0 feet.Small craft operators and sea bathers, particularly on the east coast, should continue to exercise caution.The forecast for today and tonight is cloudy to overcast with showers, periods of rain and isolated thunderstorms.Dominica Vibes News Share Share