Category: mqzttzuihzvm

Technip swings to quarterly net loss

first_imgFrench LNG engineer Technip posted a net loss of €306.9 million in the second quarter of this year following a restructuring plan it announced earlier this month.Technip said on July 6 it plans to reduce its workforce for about 6,000 in a response to the downturn in the oil and gas market.The restructuring plan included a total one-off charge of €650 million. Of this total, €570 million was booked in the second quarter, Technip said in a statement on Thursday.During the second quarter, Technip’s order intake was at €1.5 billion, as compared with €7.07 billion a year ago.“In our July 6th announcement, we set out in detail our views on the market outlook and these have not changed: the oil and gas industry is likely to be adversely impacted for longer than anticipated by the downturn,” Thierry Pilenko, Chairman and CEO of Technip said. LNG World News Staff; Image: Techniplast_img read more

About time

first_imgSubscribe now for unlimited access Get your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGINlast_img read more

Conxion turns up the heat

first_imgConxion won the contract to deliver the exchangers, each of which had the dimensions 25 m x 4.5 m x 4.6 m, for the QAFAC turnaround project scheduled to take place in spring 2014.The heat exchangers were shipped as breakbulk cargo from Italy to the port of Doha, from where they were transported about 60 km to QAFAC’s plant in Meseaid Industrial City and offloaded using 300 tonne capacity cranes.Conxion Logistics & Heavy Equipment joined the Project Cargo Network (PCN) in June 2012 as a representative in Qatar.  www.conxionlogistics.comwww.projectcargonetwork.comlast_img read more

81% of chambers will fold within a year, Bar Council survey finds

first_imgOver half of barristers’ chambers will not survive the next six months without financial aid if the pandemic persists, while 81% will collapse within a year under the current pressures, the Bar Council says today.According to the representative body, a survey shows that 55% of all chambers cannot survive six months without financial aid if the current circumstances continue, and 81% cannot survive 12 months. The 145 heads of chambers who responded said their main concerns are interrupted court work, an inability to generate income to pay future costs and a lack of cash to pay current costs.The criminal bar is hardest hit, with 90% of chambers predicting they will fold after 12 months without more financial support. Some 60% are already furloughing clerks and other staff, while just over half are taking urgent measures such as renegotiating or giving notice on their leases.Pupillage recruitment will also be severely disrupted, the survey suggests. Some 30% of chambers are changing their plans for pupillage starting in 2020 or 2021 and may not take pupils on as planned for the next two years.The Bar Council said the government’s current financial relief does not address the problems faced by the bar, and will impact social mobility ‘immediately and for the future’. Pupils, junior tenants and those on or returning from parental or adoption leave are particularly badly affected, it said, adding: ‘The publicly funded Bar is more diverse than other areas. Its particular vulnerability means that barristers from more diverse backgrounds (including women and BAME practitioners) are most disadvantaged by the current crisis.’The Bar Council urged the government to extend its self-employed relief to barristers without 12 months of receipts and to permit them to rely on 2019/2020 tax returns, an idea proposed by newly-qualified barristers this week. It also said that childcare costs should be deductible as expenses of self-employment for the purposes of calculating eligibility for relief, and the Legal Aid Agency must accelerate payments.It added: ‘The survival of chambers is integral to ensuring access to justice. Financial support is required if the collapse of chambers is to be avoided.’last_img read more

Modernised EU07 locomotive on test

first_imgPOLAND: ZNTK Olenica has extensively modernised a PKP Intercity Class EU07 electric locomotive as a pilot for a possible wider programme. The changes have uprated the locomotive from 2 MW to 3·2 MW, and increased top speed from 125 km/h to the 160 km/h permitted on an increasing proportion of the Polish networkDC traction motors have been refurbioshed by Emit Zychlin as EY541X4 three-phase AC motors fed by a Medcom FT-1600-3000 inverter. Enika has supplied auxiliary equipment, and IPS Tabor microprocessor diagnostic and control systems as well as pneumatic equipment. Around 413 EU07 locomotives remain from 488 built to an English Electric design by Pafawag and HCP in 1965-92. The long production runs meant the later locomotives were already outdated when new.The modernised locomotive is now undergoing tests, and PKP Intercity is interested in ordering at least 20 more.last_img read more

‘Golden age’ in New South Wales, Collins tells AusRail

first_imgAUSTRALIA: New South Wales is experiencing ‘a golden age’ of rail investment, Sydney Trains CEO Howard Collins told delegates at the AusRail 2019 conference in Sydney on December 3.Collins reported that ridership on Sydney’s suburban and regional passenger network had been growing at 5 to 6% per annum over the six years since he joined the organisation. He suggested that New South Wales was seeing a shift in attitudes towards private car use. ‘This is not just a Sydney urban change, we are seeing rural NSW communities embracing rail use too.’ Concern about the changing climate in the region could be a contributory factor, he believed.Noting that New South Wales has a transport strategy looking ahead as far as 2056, Collins joked that ‘I’ll be there’. ‘We used to talk about individual modes of transport, but this strategy is about integrated transport and building better places.’In the short term, more capacity is expected to be created through the roll-out of ETCS Level 2 across the suburban network. Given that Sydney Trains services run largely on segregated infrastructure, Collins predicted that this could yield capacity gains of up to 30%. ‘We don’t have to be revolutionaries, we can just emulate what others have achieved’, he suggested, citing the deployment of ETCS with ATO on London’s Thameslink corridor in the UK.He also emphasised the importance of integrated control systems across the busy network. A Rail Operating Centre at Alexandria opened at the end of May at a cost of A$300m, performing non-vital functions across the network and giving controllers real time information in a single hub ‘for the first time in Australia’.Ahead of his secondment to a supervisory role within Transport for NSW in 2020, Collins expressed his pride at being able to ‘run an integrated railway with one organisation responsible for everything from the ballast to the overhead wires to the staff and the customers’.Faster Rail reportDelivering a keynote address at AusRail, New South Wales Deputy Premier John Barilaro reiterated the state government’s commitment to a major rail spending programme as part of its A$55bn transport investment programme over the next five years.He confirmed that a report on the potential for ‘faster rail’ routes on several corridors including Sydney – Canberra and Sydney – Newcastle, being authored by former HS2 Ltd Chief Engineer Prof Andrew McNaughton, would be submitted by ‘early 2020’. This would support the state’s objective to improve rail provision outside the Sydney conurbation.Barilaro also gave strong backing to the federally funded Inland Rail project, reporting that the nascent Melbourne – Brisbane freight corridor was already delivering economic benefits to the state. The first double-stack intermodal trains have begun serving a dry port at Parkes, where Pacific National has recently opened a dedicated terminal. Barilaro said the state would launch a ‘concierge programme’ to encourage businesses to relocate to the area, attracted by better access to national and international supply chains.last_img read more

Five reasons why google is honouring Kenyan activist Dr. Margaret Ogola

first_imgRelated Google today is honouring Kenyan author, pediatrician, and human rights advocate Margaret Ogola.Most notably known for her book, The River and The Source which won the 1995 Commonwealth Writers’ Prize for best first book, Africa Region, Margaret Ogola is also known for so much more than shaping a generation of African literature enthusiasts and the new age authors.Kenyans on twitter have had an outpouring of comments commending Google on bringing light to this national treasure to the country.“Local doodles provide a way for Google to connect with Kenyans about what matters to them and to help celebrate the important moments. We celebrated Wangari Maathai and today we’re celebrating a literary figure, Dr. Margaret Ogola,” stated Dorothy Ooko, head of communications and public affairs, SSA.There is As part of the commemoration, a special reading of her book The River and the Source will be held at Prestige Bookshop, Mama Ngina Street at 1700hrs in Kenya’s Capital Nairobi. Readings will be led by her family and several Kenyan authors.Here is why Margaret Ogola is worthy of knowing and honouring. Missing Kenyan activist found dead Kenyan authorities ask Google to take down gay song #FindCarolineMwatha: Search intensifies for missing Kenyan activistlast_img read more

Murder trial traversed due to juror illness

first_imgLocalNews Murder trial traversed due to juror illness by: – October 11, 2012 Share 16 Views   one comment A new trial date has been set for a murder trial involving Shane Degallerie, due to the illness of one of the jurors.Degallerie has been charged for murdering Justin Joseph of Fond Cole on 23rd April 2010.A nine member jury comprising of five females and four males was empanelled on 26th September 2012 and the trial commenced on 1st October.The trial came to a halt on 8th October 2012, when the court was informed that the foreman of the jury has been hospitalized.The remaining jurors were informed by Justice Bernie Stevenson, that “because of the nature of the offence” all nine members are required to be “present” during the hearing of the matter.She then adjourned the trial to 11th October and informed that if the juror was still incapacitated, the jury would be discharged.However on Thursday, 11th October, the court was informed that the juror was still hospitalized, leaving Justice Stevenson with “no choice” but to “dismiss” the remaining eight jurors and traverse the matter to the January 2013 Criminal Assizes.According to Justice Stevenson, it is “not” a situation that she is happy with but there isn’t “anything” that can be done about the situation.A new trial date will be issued on 15th January 2013 at the start of the January Criminal Assizes.Degallerie’s bail conditions continue.The state had already called nine of their witnesses to testify, some of whom gave their account of what transpired on the night of 23rd April 2012 at Evalette’s shop in Pottersville.Dominica Vibes News Sharecenter_img Tweet Share Sharing is caring!last_img read more

National Guard Breaks Up Opposition March on Venezuelan Supreme Court

first_img Share Share Sharing is caring! CARACAS, Venezuela, Monday July 24, 2017 – National Guard troops riding motorcycles fired tear gas on Saturday to break up an opposition march to the Supreme Court of Justice in an offensive against President Nicolas Maduro and his planned changes to the constitution.As months of frequently deadly anti-government demonstrations continued, the rally was also a show of support for a so-called shadow Supreme Court comprising 33 magistrates whose names were put forward by the opposition to replace Venezuela’s official high court, which is closely allied with Maduro.Opposition leaders held a mock swearing-in ceremony for the shadow court’s new “judges” on Friday, following a nationwide strike the previous day, which paralyzed parts of the capital and other Venezuelan cities.The shadow court has strong support from the demonstrators, organizers said Saturday.“Everyone has given their backing to the new Supreme Court,” tweeted Freddy Guevara, a leader of the Opposition-led congress.Saturday’s demonstrations, like many others since the end of March, were organised by the Democratic Unity Roundtable, a coalition of political opposition groups.More than 100 people have died so far in protests across the country.Meanwhile, the swearing-in of a shadow judiciary was condemned by the government as “incitement to subversion” and an act of “treason,” and officials threatened to throw the dissidents into prison.Many of the court’s official justices were hastily appointed shortly before Maduro’s ruling party lost its majority in congress.The socialist country is in the throes of a political and economic crisis that has led to acute shortages of food, basic household goods and medicine, as well as triple-digit inflation, widely believed to be the world’s highest.The stakes have risen even further, after the United States threatened economic sanctions if Maduro proceeds with the controversial July 30 election of a body to rewrite the constitution.In defiance of the “xenophobic” US threat, Maduro has vowed to maintain the July 30 election of 545 members to the “Constitutional Assembly.” Tweetcenter_img Share 50 Views   no discussions NewsRegional National Guard Breaks Up Opposition March on Venezuelan Supreme Court by: Caribbean 360 News – July 24, 2017last_img read more

Rohde & Schwarz Introduces 5G NR Uplink Analysis Solution to its FSW Spectrum Analyzers

first_imgRohde & Schwarz has introduced a new 5G NR uplink signal analysis solution in line with latest 3GPP specifications, for its FSW signal and spectrum analyzers. The new R&S FSW-K145 5G-NR UL measurement application will be used to develop 5G user equipment and components such as power amplifiers. It will complement the existing R&S FSW-K144 5G NR downlink measurement application, which is used to test 5G base stations.The R&S SMW-K144 5G NR option for the R&S SMW200A vector signal generator can generate the required signals for uplink and downlink receiver tests. All three 5G NR signal generation and analysis options now support 15.2.0, the most recent version of the 3GPP standard.With the new R&S FSW-K145 5G-NR UL measurement application, the R&S FSW signal and spectrum analyzer will capture and analyze 5G NR uplink signals from user devices. The application supports multiple component carriers and multi-frame signals. When used together with the existing 5G NR signal generation and analysis options, it lets developers test compliance with the latest 3GPP standards, enabling them to validate user devices including 5G modems, mobile phones, IoT devices and base stations in ways that cannot be achieved with general-purpose solutions on the market. With these options for signal generation and analysis, testing to 3GPP 5G NR specifications TS 38.211/ TS 38.212/ TS 38.213/ TS 38.214 is now supported for the latest versions of these standards, including version 15.2.0 from June 2018.Uplink characterization benefits from the outstanding test and measurement capabilities of the R&S SMW200A vector signal generator and the R&S FSW signal and spectrum analyzer. The SMW200A is the first of its kind to offer 2 GHz fully calibrated wideband signals up to 40 GHz in a single box. Its intuitive operating concept and smart help functions facilitate the configuration of complex signal scenarios such as 5G NR, directly from the instrument.Equipped with the new R&S FSW-K145 5G NR UL signal analysis option (and/or the R&S FSW-K144 5G NR DL signal analysis option), the R&S FSW will support sub-6 GHz and mmWave signals with different subcarrier spacing and carrier bandwidths. Extending its internal analysis bandwidth up to 2 GHz, the R&S FSW-B2001 allows R&D users to investigate wideband signals in detail without the need for an external digitizer. The R&S SMW-K144 5G NR signal generation option (covering downlink and uplink signals), the R&S FSW-K144 5G NR downlink and the new R&S FSW-K145 5G NR uplink signal analysis option are now available from Rohde & Schwarz.last_img read more